Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

The Ample Challenge

I propose we challenge ourselves for 5 weeks to make really healthy decisions about our time and nutrition. At the end of 5 weeks we will hopefully feel better and maybe even look a little better!! Maybe even pick up a few new habits we would like to continue to use everyday. So the challenge looks a little bit like this . . .

The Ample Challenge
 3 non-negotiable rules:
- 8 PM food cut off (except for Phil who kind of has to eat after 8)
- Exercise everyday for at least 30 min. This can be any form of exercise i.e. walking, jogging, swimming, cardio, lunges up and down your hall, jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, bike rides. You just have to get your heart rate up and keep it up for 30 min.
- NO DESSERTS. Ok throw your hands up in the air and say "ahhh come on its summer. How can I not eat a dessert for 5 weeks? That is ridiculous. What about parties or special occasions? What about just once a week? At least give me a cheat day. come on!" Are you done? Good. You are looking at the queen of desserts here. I can hardly go an hour without a hand full of M&Ms these days. So if I can do it I know you guys can. Just think of how good you will feel about yourself at the end of the 5 weeks and we are on vacation and desserts are allowed again!! Seriously this is the third rule and I am not making a cheat day. Don't ask for one.

Weekly Challenges:
There will be 5 weekly challenges. These challenges are a fun way to compete with yourself and everyone else. A little healthy competition is always good!

Week 1: Keep a Food Journal- The point of this is to track what and how much we are really eating. This way we know where we need to do some work or we can see where we are already doing a good job. Or it could be where we (by we I mean me) see that all we ( again me) are eating is processed junk out of a box and we (me) really need to change some things. Got it? Pretty easy. I was thinking we could keep it in the kitchen on the counter or taped to the fridge that way it is right in front of you and hopefully you won't forget.


Week 2: Eat at Least 5 Servings of Fruits or Veggies and Drink 8 Glasses of Water - This is pretty self explanatory but it is kind of hard to get 8 glasses of water in when you aren't already doing it everyday. Keep track!


Week 3: No Pop and No Sugar- This basically means no processed foods when I mean sugar. Nothing from a box! Obviously fruits and veggies and whole grain bread and pasta are ok. Try to keep it fresh this week. Oh that means no DIET sodas either.

Week 4: Read Scriptures 30 Minutes a Day- Pretty self explanatory right? Those who are already doing this good job! Those who aren't (me) need to!

Week 5: Get 8 Hours of Sleep/ 8 Glasses of Water- I'm brining back the water challenge! I know 8 hours of sleep will be hard for most of us but I think it is really something to strive for. We can do anything for a week right? Mom and Dad this one is for you guys! Dad have you ever gotten 8 hours of sleep in a row? 


- Ok so there are the challenges. Plan for them each week so you can be successful! Everyday that you complete the challenge and follow the non-negotiables you get to put a star in our google document (GDOC) by your name. Abby made this for us so we can chart our progress and support each other. If you do not have a Gmail account you can email me your progress or post it to the blog and I will report it for you!

If you choose to you can track your weight over the 5 weeks and watch how you are doing. I will be doing this. I will weigh in every Monday morning and report it to the GDOC. I like being able to see my progress and I like that I feel accountable to you guys to do well and eat healthy. It helps me to stay on track. That is why I am putting it all out there. I hope you guys do too. This is where I am starting.


This is completely on the honor system whether you are keeping the challenges. I am providing starting pics and again at the end. It helps me stay accountable and on track.

At the end of the 5th week we will all be meeting in Michigan! On Monday we will have a party to report our success and celebrate our healthy choices. I am proud to announce the first Jones Family 5k. Hopefully with all of the exercise we will be doing everyone will be able to walk/jog/run. In moms case maybe hobble! I hope you are walking by then mom! I am really excited about this and I hope you all choose to participate in the challenge!

Ok, so go eat your final dessert or get your sugar fix. I am allowing this because you better believe I got mine last night, thats right 2 handfuls of M&Ms! Hmmm I should probably throw the rest away. Anyway today is your last day until August 6th!

I think it will be important to blog about our day to day struggles and successes. Basically I am calling a free for all on blogging this month. If you have something you want to share like a recipe or a strategy or just about your day I think it would be cool to hear about. So we can all still blog on our allotted days but also I invite Phil, Roxy, Mom and Dad and the brothers from another mother to blog whenever they feel like it.

Please report your weight (if you choose to) and intentions by the end of the day July 2, 2012!

20 comments:

  1. Liza this is AWESOME! I'm working out my "intentions" right now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Emily. I am super excited! I have entered my starting weight on the Document and the only thing I might have some trouble with is the 8pm food cut off. When I work nights I eat at 4pm and am usually rather hungry by the time I get off ( around 11) but I will do my best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, It really isn't a bad thing to eat after 8 if you need to because of work. Just try to eat protein and veggies of some sort try not to eat carbs that late. Not just for weight purposes peeps but just because you will feel better. Its hard for your body to digest carbs when you are just sitting around which is typically what is happening after 8 at night.

      Delete
  3. Ok. Well, this is very nice! I will try my best but i will tell you right now i will not be doing the no desert challenge. Charlotte's bday is this week. I will have some cake. Want to take you parents to the local icecream shop. I love making cookies with my kids. So that saying i will do all the other "rules" the best i can with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you guys i dont need to lose weight.... i cant really exercise because of my foot, and 8 hours of sleep is nearly impossible in my stage of life. but i will eat healthy and keep a food journal and do some ab and butt stuff. haha. good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 8 hours of sleep is just a challenge for 1 week! you can try it for just one week!

      Delete
  5. I don't know what was more 'cute' Laura's comment or Eliza's starting weight....LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha very funny . . . Ok so I don't have much to lose but I am "loose in the cage" as in my core is kaput. So I need this you know to lose the tire!

      Delete
  6. I think your stage in life was one of the only times I got 8 hours of sleep besides my mission...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stage=insomniac. hahaha. but dudes. as im sitting here chowing down on starburst after finishing off a whole can of tuna and saltines.........idk how i can do this. but we will all support eachother, right? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok a few updates. When I said exercise everyday for 30 min. I meant try for 5 days a week. Oh and you can drink water after 8pm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok i had a foot long turkey bacon sub and a turkey wrap for food. drank 2 V8's and water and walked 11 miles. so is that a good start?

    ReplyDelete
  11. 11 miles? That's crazy and a great start! Is this Phil now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i average about 10 miles at work. Don't get my heart rate up very high but burn some calories

      Delete
  12. I had a mess of perch fried in vigin olive oil, 4 tiny potatoes, 2 pieces of asparagus, 22 Rainer cherries, 4 spoonfulls of Mac and cheese, one half of a cheese sandwich , 2 pieces of tasty soft black licorice and a two egg omelette , mom and I went swimming for a half hour. I feel stuffed. I had three honking big glasses of water and 2 glasses do milk and some swimming pool. I also contributed to the swimming pool. Just spit. I kicked Mom's keister at the pool. She gave some excuse that made it sound like she needs her own telethon. .......".xo dad. I'm going to the drug store to pick up some glasses so that we can see the scale well enough to weigh ourselves and our plates well enough so that we can push them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out dad, mom might start pushing you around the pool sooner than you think. She's a gamer. Thanks for clarifying about your pool contribution. Spit happens.

      Delete