Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Beach


 Tybee Island, GA
 This is the beach at Tybee Island in Georgia. I don't know what it is but I love the Atlantic Coast (AC). I have been to a lot of beaches in my day, and yes the burning sand on the AC is a slight downfall, but it always makes me feel so happy. Its probably because I have such fond memories of going to the beach when we would go to New Jersey. I remember boogie boarding and running in and out of the ocean all day as the waves would chase us out and draw us back in. I remember building sand castles and collecting shells. Haha, don't be mad Em, but I remember you sunbathing a lot. I remember the HOT HOT sand as we would run back to the car at the end of the day. The boardwalk always seemed so much further when we were leaving then when we got there in the morning. I remember always always Grandma with her jugs of water. Then when I think of those jugs of water, I think of Grandmas house and I can still remember the way it smelled. I loved that smell. I loved playing in the basement. There was one dress in particular that I would put on every time and imagine I was a character in the movie Oaklahoma.  It was a green and white checkered dress, does anyone remember that dress? The horse in the basement played a key role in all my Oklahoma charades. This is kind of random and a little odd that I thought about this when I was little but I remember loving that dress so much I would get sad thinking about when grandma and grandpa died they would probably give that dress to the Hauser girls. I thought they were Grandmas favorite grandchildren. What an absurd thing to think about as a kid. I had a crazy imagination though, still do. I remember Grandpa and his big chair in the front room. As I type this I can see myself walking through the whole house. I loved that house. Oh how I wish I could go there one more time. I miss Grandma and Grandpa Jones so much! For some reason when I hold Henry and talk to him I think of Gramps a lot! I wish I got to see them more. I love thinking about those memories. What do you guys remember about New Jersey?  One more memory from me, Zipper! I loved that dog.

 Basically Reese did not leave the water. Christopher and I had to take shifts in the water but mostly he stayed with her all day, and I was with this chunky pig.
 She sat in that same position for so long until the water slowly cleared her big pile of sand away. When we got there and set up our chairs in the morning our seats were pretty much right at the water line. Look how far back the chairs were at the end of the day.
 We had a really great time. I know Reese won't remmeber this trip but I hope to create memories for her just like mom and dad did for us. Its not easy packing kids up with all of the stuff they need and driving hours to our destination. When we got there in the morning and drove around for an hour trying to find a place to park, I tried to stay positive. Then getting to the beach and setting everything up kind of took the sails out of me and I was thinking we would only stay a little while. But the day got better and I chilled out and it turned into a vacation I will never forget taking with this little family of mine. Thanks for all the family vacations you took us on Mom and Dad, even when it was hard. 

Oh P.S. E and I will be making our Aprons for Grandma this week!! has anyone made theirs yet? Get on it!

6 comments:

  1. You and Zipper were tight, so tight in fact, you guys would share food...his food. We had to start putting his bowl up on the counter when he wasn't eating. I think you liked the crunchiness. If it makes you feel any better Abby used to eat dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma would find you and laugh and say, "Well aren't you a funny thing. You wanted to help Zipper eat his breakfast, did you?"

      Delete
  2. P.S. Sorry I wasn't much fun as a pre-teen/teenager. You guys were having way more fun than me, I just didn't know it. Actually I think I did, I just thought I was supposed to be all grown-up like, you know? Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Barry doing his ventriloquist act.( it is my first Barry memory). i remember the hurricane at the beach house. my most vivid memory is when the uncles took the tumor of Zipper's belly. It was kind of surreal watching a Neurosurgeon, 2 anesthesiologists, and a Vet operate on their mom's beloved dog. And Jim was always larger than life to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the boys playing Nintendo into the night. The stickers on the back of the bedroom door. The star wars tree house and sheets. The walk to the beach from Grandmas. Wasn't there a kitchen fire and a fire truck came? The smell, it is still potent. I love those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took my family to Atlantic City last summer. It was like I was a giddy little kid as we got closer...

    ReplyDelete