Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Shake it Up at the Dinner Table

Moroccan Mint Roasted Vegetables


So this recipe comes from 101cookbooks.com but I put a bit of my own spin on it and simplified it a bit. (You can go here http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/moroccan-mint-roasted-vegetables-recipe.html to see pictures though) I've been making it a lot this month and can't get enough of it. So yummy and easy. I use small new potatoes, any kind, cauliflower, and asparagus. But you could use lots of different combos, or just straight potatoes (no cauliflower / radish), or green beans and broccoli in the summer. Asparagus and artichokes in the spring, etc.

First get a big mixing bowl and make the dressing in there.  Once that is done, just throw the vegetables in as you cut them and then toss gently but thoroughly-until everything is evenly coated. Get out two big cookie sheets and spread the vegetables out evenly, squeeze em in there, just make sure all the big pieces are flat on the tray in one layer, not over lapping or on top of each other. (this is super important so they will cook properly, and get browned and a little crispy on the edges.)  Bake for 15 minutes or until everything is cooked through. 

Remove from the oven and serve on a platter over rice, (I prefer brown rice) topped with a squeeze of lemon and any/all of the other toppings. A fat dollop of plain yogurt brings everything together. The yogurt really makes this dish. I put it out in a small bowl and let people add to their liking, along with fresh chopped mint and lemon wedges to squeeze over it.


As a main course, this usually feeds me and my roommate, with enough left over for one other person. If you like you can grill up some nice lemon chicken and have this as a side it would feed four probably.
      

 Dressing
1 1/2 teaspoons dried mint (I prefer fresh mint, pile about 8-10 mint leaves on top of each other, then roll them up from top to bottom like a sleeping bag. Take your knife and start making small slices from one edge of the roll. you will end up with long strips of mint. From there start chopping it up into very fine little pieces.
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can do a bit less than this if you are afraid of the heat, but it is very mild actually with the full 1/2 teaspoon.                                                                                                                                                                                                             1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
(use half a fresh lemon's worth of juice here, makes it nice and tangy!)
 Vegetables
1 lb / 16 oz / 450 g mix of about 5-6 potatoes, 1/2 a cauliflower, and 1/2 a bunch of asparagus. Slice the new potatoes very thin, as well as the cauliflower. I had never actually "sliced" cauliflower before, so I just cut it in half, then cut the half into quarters, and then sliced the quarters, it will crumble some and there will be small chunks but don't worry about it just throw all of it in the bowl once cut. 


 toppings: fresh mint, toasted sesame and/or sunflower seeds, plain yogurt (seasoned with a bit of salt)

-E

4 comments:

  1. This sounds sooo much better than the detested Mickey D's we had tonight. It was an awful experience and helped me to remember why we never do that. I should have driven an extra two miles to Chick Fil A. Have any of you been there? Now that is what fast food is all about. It's delicious, seems nutritious, and has an awesome sound proof play place.

    I've only been there once.

    Mint vegetables sound really great...I wonder if I have mint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I just read this over again and it sounds divine...I like to roast veggies on the grill as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good when you made it for us! Congrats on passing your test. I'm really proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The technique you described for the mint is called a chiffonade. Just a little tidbit for you. The recipe looks really yummy!! I heard your good news and tried to call youth congratulate you.....call me! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete