Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Compromised


Reese is all about compromised positions lately. I just went to check on her and found her dead asleep. The other night she decided she wanted to eat dinner with her legs spread out to either side of her tray. She is a crazy chic.   
Funny story: Tonight while Reese and I bathed. She in her tiny blue ikea tub, that she does not fit in at all but still loves it, and me in the shower. She took one of her little cups she has and filled it with water, stood up and put it underneath her lady parts and said "Hey look mom I'm peeing in my cup". This took me back for a moment because really, who pees in cups? Then I realized she had been to every prenatal visit with me and just 2 days ago my 6 week post baby check-up. She watched me pee in a cup every single one of those appointments. She got to the point where she would run in the bathroom, hand me the cup and when I was done she would give me the marker and say "write your name mom". I didn't think once to maybe not expose her to that because, well, she is 2. She won't remember any of this and it does make for some funny stories. 

I was thinking about compromising positions today as I watched our President of the United States announce his position on same sex marriage. Then again as I watched Mitt Romney also announce his which was the opposite. Then I watched the news peeps tear them both apart and talk about how each statement will effect them and blah blah blah. It got me thinking . . .

Tonight when I opened up my web browser just to blog a little goodnight picture and story from Reese I saw this picture . . .

Talk about compromising positions. As I read the article I just kept saying "Ugh, I don't care what this mom does or how long she chooses to breastfeed her child". I don't support her nor chastise her or any other mother. The truth is we live in a free country and we have free agency to make our own decisions. Sadly, sometimes people make very horrible, weird, creepy or dangerous decisions that leave other people compromised. But that is when accountability comes into play, right? 

Back to our future leader's response and view to SS marriage. I don't care what either of their stances are. There I said it. Is that bad? Is it wrong to be tolerant or neutral about so many things that others find to be such a big deal. When is it not ok to be neutral? 

This post kind of got serious fast and I don't even think I got my thoughts into the right words to really get across what I am trying to say. And I know there are so many counter responses to my last question. I am thinking of a million right now. I guess I just want to share some thoughts. Someone validate me, ok?!? And just go back to thinking about how funny that story is about Reese!

Alright, goodnight, L

7 comments:

  1. whoa! that magazine cover is...um...somthin. reese is hilarious, i die over her. she is so much fun.

    i know what you mean about the same-sex marriage thing, when I heard obama's stance i thought, "good for you, that's fine." and when they stated romney's comments, I thought, "good for you, that's what you believe." i'm not sure how to even explain what i think about that issue, i'm still figuring it out. and i don't really care what either of them think, everything is so stigmatized in an election year it is hard for me to take anyone very seriously because the environment is so political, and there are so many angles getting worked. I think sometimes we are driven to neutrality on some issues because there is no "right" answer, or because what we think might be right is too complicated to deal with, or maybe because no one has an answer that is good enough. either way, neutral isn't always bad, sometimes it's just a place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That article is going to be all over the blogosphere. I wonder what Rixa will say about it...

    I thought this was a very unintentionally thought provoking post. I also don't know what to think aout the SS marriage situation. I know that I have felt uncomfortable in the past with the way the church protested the 8 thing in California. I know and believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. However, it doesn't sit right with me, when other's aren't able to make their own decisions. I don't think I would have protested. They are going to be together whether or not the law allows them to be married. It is their decision. I don't have an opinion, like Emily said, but I think I fare more to the pro-choice standpoint...

    I had a lesbian couple come to a meeting at work this week. It was fascinating and yet, I really felt for the little girl that they care for. Not that they don't do a great job and love her to death, just that, well, how confused will that little girl be in life because of it?

    I think Ann Arbor and it's liberal ways rubbed off on me a bit...I like natural child birth and using botanical hair products. I would eat organically and become a vegetarian/pescetarian as well if I had enough conviction.

    Reese. Sometimes it is scary what the kids pick up from our examples. I've been trying not to fly off the handle as easily and be more patient with my kids. I don't want them to scream and be like that, plus it has to be scary for them to an extent. It has been a lot better this week.

    Neutral is a place to be. I think my actions are neutral and my thoughts are usually towards the right or the left. I just don't act on them.

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's soooo funny about Reese! How is Henry . Six weeks already wow! Phil and i were talking about about the obama thing when it happened. He asked me what i felt and we have the same feelings. We feel that Marriage is between a man and women. However, we do believe in Human rights. I wish they would just forget about calling it marriage. I wish i could read the Time article. The feelings I feel about the mother is it's an intimate thing between your child and you. To see it on a magazine just throws me off. Woah Deep stuff Liza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SS Marriage. Here is how you fix it. take every government document and go through them removing the word marriage and replace it with civil union. Define Civil Union as: a union between to People wherein they will be able to file taxes together, (and do all the stuff that marriage allows now) If you get hitched in a church you get to call it a marriage. People are arguing vehemently over semantics, And trying to legislate and regulate one of the most powerful human emotions. That never works. ever!

    The Rhetoric coming from both sides of this issue really really annoys me. They both spew hate and bigotry, and you'll never win me over to your cause by doing either. I am comfortably neutral in this one.

    As far as prop 8 was concerned Abby I never got that guilt/confusion about the church's stance because i believe my leaders weren't acting out of bigotry towards a certain part of the population, but in defense of what we have been taught is the most important institution on earth. I was Okay with that.

    Who is going to be more confused when they grow up? the Kid who was breastfeed until he could make his own sandwich's or the kid raised by a same sex couple?

    P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil, that was awesome! I'm personally going to go with the kid who breast feeds until he can make his own sandwich. Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as far as the ss marriage - i don't know if it is all so simple as that, but i like how you put it. very good, very good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the ss thing is very complicated. sometimes the only way to solve those is with a simple solution. I would rather deal with a solved problem and hurt feelings than have a situation where we have hurt feelings and no solution.

    of course my answer isn't perfect but i really think that needs to be where the solution starts and grows from.

    ReplyDelete