Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Wonders of Coucous!

Couscous


It looks something like this....





Unless it is of the Israeli Variety, which makes it look more like this...




No matter what variety you choose, it is DELICIOUS!!! 


Couscous is a staple food in Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia and Libya. 
Although we should use it like one here too. It has been proven to be nutritionally better for you than Rice and Pasta!  

Listed below are the three varieties of couscous



Moroccan couscous: Tiny grains of semolina are about three times the size of a grain of cornmeal. This type cooks very quickly.

Israeli couscous: These semolina pellets are about the size of peppercorns and will take much longer to cook. This type is usually steamed in the traditional long-cooking method or stirred as one would rice in a risotto.

Lebanese couscous: Larger than Israeli couscous, the starchy pellets are about the size of small peas. Cook long and slowly or use as in risotto.

Now, As far as recipes go I have two that I really like.

1. Fresh Vegetable Couscous

  • 1 box of Israeli Couscous.
  • 1 small red onion, cut into a small dice.
  • 1 package of cherry tomatoes, halved.
  • 1 cucumber, cut into a small dice.
  • 1 1/2 cups of feta cheese, crumbled
  • Salt and Pepper to taste.

Cook couscous according to directions on the package. Spread out on a baking sheet and put in fridge to cool. After the couscous is cold add the vegetables and feta. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled.  This is a really great light salad for a picnic, or to go with a nice piece of grilled chicken steak or hot dogs! The Israeli Couscous can be hard to find and is interchangeable with Moroccan.

I love it because it is really light, no mayonnaise or bottles of Italian dressing! Which is always good!

2. Roasted Couscous

  • 1 box of Moroccan Couscous
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
  • 3/4 cup of roasted tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup of roasted artichokes
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Cut artichokes and tomatoes into the size of quarters. Heat a sauté pan on medium with a little butter and add tomatoes and artichokes. Shortly after add minced garlic. Once the garlic is cooked and the tomatoes and artichokes are warmed. Add the couscous. Warm until desired temperature and salt and pepper to taste. Serve Warm. Serve with a nice herb roasted chicken!

You can find the roasted artichokes and tomatoes either bottled by the olives or in the deli section at an olive bar.

I hope you all enjoyed my post if you have questions please let me know!!!
Now on a more personal note, Ryan started his internship this week! I really have been spoiled to have him around all the time for the last few weeks. It is sad to see him leaving at 7am and returning home at 7pm just to go to bed at 10. I know its important though and most likely what the rest of life will be like. I am so proud of him! He is working hard!
As for me, the job search continues! I have been filling my days with searches, work, errands, and Greys Anatomy. Which is fun and all but it would be nice to take a break and Skype with some of you and your babies!

We miss you all terribly and can’t wait to see you in August!!!
-M-

6 comments:

  1. tell ry not to let "the man" get him down.

    i like cous cous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great!!! We will have to give it another try with those yummy recipes. And Happy Birthday Roxann!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the Birthday wishes Mama Jones!

      Delete
  3. Hi there young ladies of the first, could you please tell us who you are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan doesn't really like Couscous. What I love about it is that you can make it in 5 minutes. It is so much faster than rice. I need to go buy some more. Thanks for the recipes! When I get my personal assistant and cook I'll try them out!! JUST KIDDING! Summer is here and I only have one official day of work left...before I start my other one day a week job...and my private practice clients!

    Yeah couscous! Hmmm another ingredient...I second H's suggestion for Herb training. I am currently growing rosemary and Basil. I love making the Macaroni Grills Rosemary Bread...what else should I do with it? Any good recipes?

    ReplyDelete